Sunday, November 21, 2010

Warning: This Post Contains SPOILERS!

So I guess my last post was a bit too angry. I assure you this post will be exactly the opposite. Okay?

I've got two things off my back as of now: Literature coursework and LNAT. I handed in my 2 courseworks on Friday, and took my LNAT after that. LNAT was okay, the MCQ was quite tough (that is to be expected), but I'm glad that I managed to write more than 600 words for the essay section. Worse comes to worse, UCL and Nottingham don't like it and I still have 3 other universities.

I WATCHED HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 1 YESTERDAY.

You could probably tell how freaking excited I was about the movie through my Facebook statuses, and if you go to the same college as I do, you're bound to have heard how much I've been whining about it throughout the week. I prepared by re-reading the book for the umpteenth time, and yes, as any Potter fan out there would tell you, I had sky high expectations. Especially since they decided to split the movie into two parts, I couldn't see a reason why they won't be able to include every single detail from the book.

Clearly, they couldn't. But I'll get to that later. My overall opinion on the movie is that it was a lot more matured. The one thing that I feel deserved most praise was the exceptional acting by Dan, Rupert and Emma. Especially Rupert. He truly outdid himself in his performance, seriously. It was brilliant because he was angry, bitter, jealous, sad, yet his loving, loyal and tender nature speaks out a lot throughout the movie. One of the scenes from the book that I was looking forward to most was the one where Ron left, and the movie did not disappoint. I confess that I've been watching videos of the scene online before I saw the movie, but it did not dampen my reactions to the scene. It was that impactful. A job well done, Rupert Grint :)

The main complaint about the movie is that it's too draggy. I think that 'draggy' is too harsh, though they could have cut short the scenes showing them moving from yet one cold place to another and replaced it with a more meaningful scene - say the one where Hermione interrogates Phinneas Nigellus about the ongoings at Hogwarts - as this actually gives a lot of background on the sword of Gryffindor, something that is essential to the plot. Having said that, I suppose that it was necessary to emphasise to the audience just how lost and helpless they all were, and it was also meant to be a build-up to the tension between Harry and Ron. So yeah, 'draggy' is too harsh a word.

While I was quite disappointed by the absence of several scenes I considered essential, e.g. Harry reading Lily's letter in Sirius's room, the explanation about the fake and original sword of Gryffindor, the background on Kendra and Ariana Dumbledore (though this might be included in Part 2), the filmmakers spruced up the movie with a few parts that really enhanced the storyline. I absolutely LOVED the first few scenes that showed Ron looking into the distance outside The Burrow, Hermione modifying her parents' memories,and Harry visiting The Cupboard Under The Stairs. And of course, the scene that got everyone talking - Harry trying to cheer Hermione up by dancing with her to a Muggle song. I had a feeling that it would be cliche when I read about it, but it was shot so beautifully, and Dan and Emma's acting was so brilliant that it became one of my favourite scenes in the movie. They truly portrayed the heartbreak Harry and Hermione felt over Ron's absence perfectly. Genius!

When I read the book, I thought that the chapter 'Bathilda's Secret' was the creepiest in the series, ever. And the movie captured that creepiness very well. I was totally freaked out by Bathilda, and even more freaked out when she transformed into Nagini, especially since I'm terrified of snakes. The scene at Malfoy Manor was great as well, though I really think that Ron's panic and urgency wasn't portrayed well enough. In the book he offered himself to be tortured instead of Hermione, and he literally went hysterical in the cellar when Bellatrix was torturing her, but it wasn't depicted properly in the movie. Ron was far too calm and considering the various attempts of the director to show how strongly Ron feels for Hermione in the entire movie, I expected Malfoy Manor to be the climax of it all, but it left me wanting. The book was so much better here.

The scene at Xenophilius Lovegood's house was quite good, though the trio's escape wasn't shot properly. Oh yes, Dobby's funeral was shot wonderfully! I nearly cried, it was so touching to see Harry digging the grave using a shovel, and it was obvious how much Harry cared for the cute house-elf. Very well done indeed.

Sorry I had to go into so much detail. You have to realize that I am a HUGE fan of the series, thus I have little tolerance for inaccuracies in the film versions. I can excuse some omissions and errors, but certain scenes, and even words, are just too important to be left out. Considering what a huge chunk was taken out of the last movie, Deathly Hallows Part 1 is a faithful adaptation. But I think that it's brilliance stems from the maturity of the three leads. Their acting was really what made the movie fantastic in my opinion. Especially Rupert Grint. My hats off to you :)

I'm definitely watching the movie again soon. Yup, it's that good.

I love Harry Potter and now I can't freaking wait for Part 2 to come out next July!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Aira,

Love your tag line about every song ending. Keep writing!

Aira Nur Ariana said...

Wow, I do feel quite embarrassed that you read my blog, Jamie! But thanks for the encouragement! :)

Mr Lonely said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.