Friday, July 2, 2010

Seleção!

Yupp, its July and I'm DONE with exams! My last paper was Economics 4 last Friday!

But its kind of a bummer that I only have 1 week break before Semester 3 starts next Monday. Yes, while all of my friends have AT LEAST 3 weeks of holidays after their exams, I only have ONE. Welcome to A-Levels, people.

My days have been filled with waking up late, going online, reading something other than Law or Econs, and of course, FOOTBALL. Hehe. I've been cheering on my team, Brazil, as well as Germany and Spain. Though I would actually like to see a Brazil-Argentina final. Its such a pity that Germany and Argentina are facing each other in the quarter-finals, they're both doing so well, especially Germany's brilliant youthful squad led by the cute Phillip Lahm. Argentina however, being South Americans (I seriously think being good at football is in their DNA), are fantastic as well. Messi, despite his lack of goals, has been brilliant and pivotal in Argentina's success so far. The likes of Tevez and Higuain will definitely pose a threat to the Germans too. Its a really tough choice, and it would break my heart to see either of them crash out so early in the competition. Haha, that's what I said when Germany met England in the Round of 16, but I changed my mind after England's dismal display. Germany deserved that win hands-down, despite the linesman's atrocious blunder in disallowing Lampard's goal. Oh yes, have I mentioned how appalling the refereeing is in this World Cup? Not only did they allow goals that shouldn't have been, eg. Tevez's offside goal against Mexico, they also disallowed a few obvious goals, eg. Lampard's goal and USA's goal against Algeria. On top of all that, they've also turned into these card-happy men who's mission in life is to get all the star players sent off. Don't get me started on the red card given to Kaka, I already had a rampage about that on Facebook.

So the quarter-finals start tomorrow. The South Americans are dominating, with Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay in each of the 4 matches. Personally, I think Brazil has the easier part of the draw, as they're up against Netherlands tomorrow, and despite Robben and Sneijder performing well, I don't think their style of play is able to withstand the mighty Brazillians. I admit they didn't look that impressive in their group matches, but anyone who saw their match against Chile has to admit that they're definitely back. That second goal, a combination of passes between Robinho, Kaka and Luis Fabiano was classic. Hopefully they turn on the style against the Netherlands, and most importantly, I hope both teams don't resort to boring defensive football. Can't wait to see Kaka, though he's carrying a yellow card from the Chile match. He really needs to be careful, though he has a point when he asked why the referees seem to have taken an interest in him. Probably they're just jealous of his looks :D

If they win against the Dutch (which they will), they'll be up against either Uruguay or Ghana. See what I mean by their draw being a lot easier? Argentina/Germany will have to take on Spain for the semis (since Paraguay is such a mangkuk), and obviously, its a much higher mountain to climb. Villa is seriously on form right now!

My choice for the final: Brazil vs. Argentina/Brazil vs. Germany. The latter would be a repeat of the 2002 final which Brazil won, and it was the first World Cup that I got really passionate about. I remember worshipping Brazil's legendary centre-back Roberto Carlos. Man, that guy had some skills :D

All the hype sorrounding the World Cup has kinda overshadowed the other major sporting event this summer - Wimbledon. Yep, I'm a tennis fan too, and I freaked out last night when I found out that Federer was knocked out by Thomas Berdych! Federer, the man who has been in the final 7 years in a row, won 6 of them, the King of Wimbledon, crashed out in the quarter-finals! Though Federer wasn't 100% fit, all credits should be given to Berdych. Imagine how it must feel to beat the greatest tennis player of all time on his favourite surface, in the quarter-finals! He must be one hell of a player. Hopefully he plays as well for the semi-final against Djokovic :)

But Federer, if this is indeed the beginning of your decline, you have nothing to be ashamed of. With 16 titles, you have surpassed every other male player in history and you've probably broken every record there is to be broken. You'll be up there among the greats, together with athletes like Michael Schumacher, Tiger Woods and Pele.

The other semi-final will be between my favourite player, Rafael Nadal and crowd favourite, Andy Murray. I want Nadal to win of course, and I always have faith in him, because that guy's mental strength is seriously the best I've ever seen in any athlete. Even if he isn't 100% fit, I still have confidence in him somehow, because of that outstanding mental strength of his. I would've loved to see a Federer-Nadal final, but Berdych spoiled the party, so now I'm hoping for a Nadal-Berdych encounter :)

Wow, this post is truly refreshing. Haha. No emo-ing, complaining, whining, its all about sports! But that doesn't mean I'm okay emotionally, though. The whole cycle is repeating itself again. And I don't know how to break it. Sigh.

The FIFA website didn't allow me to save the picture, so I had to printscreen it =.= Anyway, this is the star trio that I hope will bring the World Cup back to Brazil! And my Kaka in the middle :)


Take care, everyone :)

No comments: