Saturday, August 22, 2009

Smitten


Those close to me will know that I'm studying Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice for English Literature this semester. And they will also know how much I've been complaining about it, the language is hard, there isn't really a plot to the novel, its boring..etc. I still think so, but watching the movie has somehow opened up my mind a bit about the book.

The movie..I'll just say, it was fantastic. Brilliant. Excellent.

That is a lot to say about a movie that's been adapted from a book, and not just any book here, its from a literary masterpiece. You know how these adaptations always tend to be incompetent, inadequate, and just mediocre compared to the book? Well this movie was certainly anything but, and trust me, I've read the book (I did read the book before watching the movie, thank you very much). It was perfect. It must've been, I mean, how many 'adapted from books' movies can actually make you like the book, which you initially disliked? (Am I making sense here? Hehe. Oh well, I'm sure you know what I mean)

And of course, one cannot watch Pride and Prejudice and not fall in love with literature's most beloved romantic hero, Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy. Now, when I was reading the book, I hated him. He was this grumpy, broody, snobbish, annoying, I'm-better-than-everyone-else person that I just loathed. I have to admit Matthew Macfadyen did play the role well, in the sense that he was that broody grumpy guy in the movie, but unlike the book, the movie made me understand and feel for him. The conflict of his character was portrayed so well, kudos to Macfadyen for that.

And he made me fall in love with him. *Swoons*

Heck, how could you not fall in love with a man at that time? Men in 19th century England were such perfect, perfect gentleman. They treat a lady, like, well, a lady. They even stand up when a woman walks into the room! Sigh. Ms. Sunita is right, there's no such thing as a gentleman anymore nowadays. Its a sad, sad world.

I wanna build a time-machine and go back to 19th century England. Please?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but even if you haven't read the book or you don't plan on reading the book, watch Pride and Prejudice. Watch this movie, and you will not regret it :)

2 comments:

Zara Affifah said...

aku taktau mcmane kau boleh tahan bace buku tu.
agagag.
but the movie mmg bestlah.
(yea rite. pdhal aku bru tgk stgh.)
heee.

Aira Nur Ariana said...

ey kan aku tulis situ aku tak suke buku tu. tp movie tu yg buat aku suke. haha. aku terpakse suke pun, its for my english lit :(